28 November 2021

Some Thoughts on the List of Attributes by Game

Today, as I added three new games to the List of Attributes by Game, I realized it (the list) might be a suitable subject for my minimum once monthly article for Creative Reckoning (a task that has become increasingly challenging as I juggle the same requirement for my other four gaming blogs). The list has been growing since I first compiled it in 2004 for its original home, the defunct Fudgery.net, but its growth has been far outpaced by the explosion of new role-playing games over the last few years, due, in part, to the increasing ease of self-publishing via PDFs and print-on-demand services. Including every role-playing game published in every imaginable format is an impossibility (for me, at least), so I have decided to list a few requirements for inclusion.

Requirement #1: The game must be a role-playing game. If role-playing a character is not the primary purpose of the game, it does not belong on this list.

Requirement #2: At least one of the game's formats must be physical, whether it is professionally published, self-published, or printed on demand through a legitimate service. I reserve the right to make exceptions for my own reasons.

Requirement #3: There is no third requirement. I thought there would be more than two, but I guess I was wrong. I reserve the right to add more requirements as I see fit.

If you know of a game I ought to add, please leave a comment on the list's page and I will consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment