16 April 2014

Musical Cues in Role-Playing Games

Robin D. Laws has an interesting article in his Web log about using musical cues in certain kinds of role-playing games, which reminded me of a plan I had for using music and sound effects for some Star Trek gaming. It's amazing how important sounds can be to the atmosphere of a setting. When I imagine immersing myself in the Star Trek universe, inevitably I hear the sounds of automatic doors whishing open and shut, the voice of the computer and the noise of it computing, the electronic bosun's whistle, and the ever present drone of the ship's engines. Whenever anyone enters or leaves a room or uses a device, I want to activate the sound effect. If they have to report to sickbay, I want to hear its distinctive pulse. If a landing party beams down to a planet, I want to hear the transporter, followed by an ominous alien planet theme. Yes, when I play Star Trek, I want to feel as if I am living in an episode.

As far as more functional applications go (in line with the article), it occurs to me that the musical cues for police procedurals Laws describes would be perfect for games such as Stalking the Night Fantastic or Bureau 13 by Tri Tac Games, Strange World The Unexplained by Carnivore Games, or any other paranormal/supernatural/cryptozoölogical investigative role-playing games (or GURPS Cops, come to think of it). I'll certainly be considering it for my own gaming in this genre.

[Originally posted in Fudgery.net/fudgerylog on 18 December 2007.]

No comments:

Post a Comment