03 April 2014

Fudgery.net Celebrates 10th Anniversary

I am belatedly observing the 10th anniversary of my dedicated Fudge site, Fudgery.net. In March 2004, I registered the domain name and procured hosting for what would be (I hoped) a destination for gamers interested in the Fudge role-playing game. My goal for the site was (and continues to be) to give something to the Fudge community in return for all that it has given. Its energy, creativity, and generosity over the years since the game's inception in November 1992 has been enormous, and I hope Fudgery.net and Creative Reckoning can contribute to the wealth of Fudge material on the Web. My personal wish is to see a rebirth of Fudge-related Web logs, which I would be happy to include in my blog list. The possibilities of Fudge are endless. Explore them!

I really ought to eat some fudge in celebration of the occasion...

The Fudgery.net logo consisting of a solid back square with the name Fudgery.net in white.

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!!
    Yours is one of the few active Fudge blog remaining. Thanks for keeping it alive.
    I can't understand why a lot of fudge material disappeared from web (fudgefactor, fudgeguide ..) and no one is republishing it (is available only Wayback Machine). Although everybody agrees that Fudge is a great system there are few active resource online.
    On the other hand Fate is spreading a lot around the web.
    What is your opinion about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Fate has the advantage of a catchier and more marketable name than Fudge, which makes it more attractive to publishers and gamers unfamiliar with either game. I think that accounts for much of Fate's momentum.

      Fate, regardless of its ancestry, is more of a story game than a role-playing game. I am a role-player rather than a story-gamer, so my loyalty belongs to Fudge, which was designed, as Steffan O'Sullivan says, "to be a vehicle for good role-playing." In this area, Fudge is unsurpassed. Gamers who are uncomfortable with role-playing or who wish to participate in shared storytelling will find Fate more to their taste. (Mind you, Fate can be stripped of its story-gaming elements for those who don't care for it, but then it reverts to Fudge, more or less.)

      Thank you for your comment. If Fudge is to make a comeback, it depends on the contributions of gamers like you and me, whether it's starting a blog, publishing new material, running events at conventions, or running the game at home. To paraphrase an important speech in U.S. history, Fudge is a game of the people, by the people, for the people. We the people are responsible for letting it thrive.

      Delete